UB40 singer Duncan Campbell, 62, recovering after suffering a stroke


UB40 singer Duncan Campbell is recovering in hospital after suffering a stroke.

A statement from the band in August said the 62-year-old, from Birmingham, is ‘up and about’ and doing well, and there is hope for a ‘speedy’ recovery.

Campbell replaced his brother Ali as lead singer of the British reggae group in 2008, after Ali quit over a disagreement about management.

The band said: ‘We can confirm that our lead singer and brother Duncan Campbell was taken to hospital after suffering a stroke.

‘While we can report that he is already up and about, we ask fans to respect Duncan and the family’s privacy as he works his way back to what we all hope will be a strong and speedy recovery.

We look forward to seeing you all on the road next spring.’

The news follows the band’s announcement last week that their UK tour dates due to take place in December had been rescheduled to March next year because of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Ali has been highly critical of his replacement and said watching his brother perform the band’s songs ‘makes my skin crawl’.

He has since toured as part of the breakaway group UB40 Featuring Ali, Astro & Mickey, and the two groups regularly hit out at each other in public.

Duncan sang in a harmony group with his brothers when they were children as well as performing with their father, folk singer Ian Campbell.

The musician was also at one time a professional spoon player, as well as working as a casino manager in Barbados, running a fish and chip shop in Perth, Australia, and acting, before joining UB40 12 years ago.

Duncan was first offered the position of lead singer of the band in 1978, but turned it down, later joking it was because they were ‘c**p’ and that he ‘was too smart for them and he knew that they would get nowhere’.

UB40 have scored more than 40 top 40 songs in the UK and are recognised as one of the country’s most successful bands.

Last year UB40 saxophonist Brian Travers, a founding member of the band, was forced to miss the group’s 40th anniversary tour after suffering a seizure at home.

He was later diagnosed with a brain tumour, undergoing surgery on the day he was due to begin the tour


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here